Speaking the Truth in Love: How to Be an Assertive Christian, Ruth Koch and Kenneth Haugk
Before You Meet
I. Meditate 3-5 times on 1 Peter 3:8-17 this week.
- Start with prayer for yourself and for others reading the same verse, that the same Spirit that inspired these words would open your heart and mind to them as well.
- Then read (often out loud) and reread, stopping to ponder particular phrases or words. Go back to the same 10-15 verses multiple times in the same week.
- Taking notes on what the Word is doing in you is often helpful. If stuck, you can think through questions of the text like does this challenge me? Convict me? Does it promise me anything? How does it point to Jesus?
- After chewing on the Word, close with prayer, often turning the same verses you are reading into a prayer back to God.
II. Read the introduction to Speaking the Truth in Love and take the Assertiveness Inventory in Appendix A.
III. Read Speaking the Truth in Love, Chapters 1-2, 7-11
IV. Listen to the sermon, “Bug Zapper, Unplugged Light, or Warm Fire” (you don’t have to read the article)
The Day You Meet
- Check in: How are things going? Have you tried to implement anything from the first four weeks? How has that gone? Any updates on things we have prayed for?
- Interact with the material: What did you think of the definition of Assertiveness? Does this material raise any questions for you? Do you tend toward passive or aggressive? Does that change from person to person or situation to situation?
- Pray: Pray for each other and for the people God has in mind to be on your next triad team, whoever they are.